- Technologies can help small farms monitor operations, reduce labor costs, and access a broader market.
- Mobile applications provide farmers with data to make better decisions.
- Robotics and automation can help with farming tasks without needing additional resources or personnel.
- E-commerce platforms are great for tracking orders, managing inventory levels, and providing customer support quickly.
- Technology advancements provide many opportunities for small farms to streamline operations, reduce costs and increase efficiency.
Technology has become increasingly crucial for businesses of all sizes and industries. With the rise of digital transformation, technology is no longer merely a tool to increase efficiency but a way of driving innovation and growth. Research by McKinsey & Company found that companies with advanced digital technologies performed better than their peers on revenue growth and profitability measures.
The importance of technology for business success is further supported by statistics from various surveys conducted around the world:
- According to a survey from PWC, 87% of organizations believe that AI will be essential for their success in the next five years.
- In another survey by IDC, 70% of respondents reported using AI technologies across their organization.
- Research from Deloitte showed that 41% of executives report that cloud computing has enabled them to launch new products or services more quickly.
- Lastly, according to Accenture’s Technology Vision 2020 survey, 71% of business professionals say they need advanced technologies like AR/VR and chatbots in order to remain competitive
It might be easy to say that technology will not touch the agriculture business, but even small farms can benefit from technological advances. Here are a few to consider.
First, using mobile apps to manage farm operations. Mobile applications can help small farmers monitor their field activity and ensure that tasks are completed promptly. Farmers can also use these apps to track soil conditions, crop health, livestock movements, weather patterns, and other essential variables for optimal farming practices.
Here are a few mobile apps that small farms have benefited from:
An app that helps farmers track their field activities, manage costs, and order crop inputs.
A farm management platform that allows farmers to keep records of their livestock movements and financial performance.
A soil monitoring system that helps farmers maximize their yields by optimizing irrigation schedules and managing nutrient levels in the soil.
An app that provides farmers with comprehensive data about crop production, weather forecasts, and market prices.
With the help of these mobile applications, small farms can access information quickly and in real-time to make better decisions for their business.
Robotics and Automation
Small farms can also use robotics and automation to improve efficiency and reduce labor costs. This includes using robotic harvesters for harvesting crops, autonomous tractors for plowing and tilling fields, drones for aerial mapping of areas and scouting for pests or diseases, and automated greenhouses for controlled conditions and higher yields.
Robotics and automation can also help with crop monitoring, tracking livestock movements, and managing weed control. All of these activities can be managed without the need for additional resources or personnel.
Robotics and automation can also significantly reduce the workload and time spent on mundane tasks, allowing farmers to focus more on the areas that need their attention.
Lastly, small farms can benefit from e-commerce platforms to reach more customers and increase sales. By leveraging online commerce channels such as Amazon or eBay, small farmers can access a broader market for their products and services. This increases the potential customer base and allows them to offer discounts and promotional offers to attract new buyers.
E-commerce platforms are also great for tracking orders, managing inventory levels, and providing customer support quickly and easily. Those platforms are even more helpful for equipment that is too expensive or challenging to buy. A tractor is often an essential tool for farming, but brand-new versions can be costly. Fortunately, you can find pre-owned tractors for sale to get the same outstanding performance without breaking the bank.
There might also be e-commerce platforms specializing in farming products and services, like the FarmLead Marketplace. With FarmLead, farmers can buy and sell grain directly from each other without relying on a third-party broker.
Technology has become integral to all businesses, and small farms can benefit significantly. By taking advantage of mobile applications, robotics and automation, and e-commerce platforms, they can streamline their operations, reduce costs and increase efficiency. With the help of technology, small farms will be better positioned to compete with more prominent players in the market.
So, if you’re thinking about making your small farm business more successful in this digital age, don’t forget to take advantage of the technological advancements available today!